- The nature of individual differences in attention control
- Tracking the focus of attention with pupillometry and mind wandering reports
- The role of the locus coeruleus-norepinephrine system in attention control
- The role of functional connectivity within and between brain networks contributing to individual differences in attention control and higher-order cognitive abilities
- The possibility of training attention control
- Data Science Practices in R
My current research in the lab involves investigating the nature of attention control with the use of pupillometry. I have also been learning how to use the R statistical software program to analyze data in a way that is most consistent with Open Science and Reproducibility practices. I have developed several R Packages relevant to the lab's research; you can check them out by going to my GitHub link above.
I am originally from Seattle, WA. I will always consider Washington State as my home. I earned my B.A. in Behavioral Neuroscience at Western Washington University. This is where I found my interests in cognitive psychology. I took a year off after college. During that year off I particpated in an 8-week silent meditation retreat on Shamatha and the Four Immeasurables in Phuket, Thailand with my teacher Alan Wallace
From there I went on to do a 2 year M.A. program in General Experimental Psychology at California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB). I did this with the hope that I would get accepted to a highly respected Ph.D. program and research lab in cognitive psychology. At CSUSB I worked with Dr. Hideya Koshino doing research on selective attention and working memory.
As it turned out, my academic hopes came true and I was accepted into Randy Engle’s lab as a Ph.D. student at Georgia Tech! And I very much enjoy being a part of this wonderful lab and to work with a tough but caring mentor.
Outside of psychology, my interests include Buddhist spiritual practice, hiking, camping, riding my bicycle around town, and photography.
An R Package to preprocess pupil data
An R package to create nice looking output for CFA and SEM analyses using lavaan and semPlot packages